The Growlery

"Sit down, my dear," said Mr. Jarndyce. "This, you must know, is the Growlery.
When I am out of humour, I come and growl here."

Charles Dickens, Bleak House, Chapter VIII

Monday, June 25, 2007

Fun Times


Although the outings we go on are the most culturally interesting, much of life here takes place within the four walls of the compound. And much of that time is spent playing with the kids, so I thought I would summarize some of the more notable things that the kids and I have done since I've been here.



I have spent the most time playing Playmobil with Kate, who really misses having lots of friends here (and many of her friends have gone back to the US for rainy season) and so really wants someone to do imaginative play with her. So I do my best, adding my own elements to storylines so that I don't go insane. This picture shows the set up for a royal wedding, to which someone was unfortunate enough to not invite a certain evil fairy, which eventually resulted in the bride getting kidnapped by the disgruntled fairy, who then made her work as her slave and who could only escape when she disenchanted the various animals in the fairy's lair, who were actually former slaves who the fairy had become angry with. I also had the great idea of turning their bedroom toy shelf into a doll house –so far it has functioned as an orphanage and Noah's Ark (inspired by one of the picture books we looked at).





Then when it has been nice out, we have playing in the yard, or on the swing set. One day when we were all hot from playing tree tag, I came up with probably my best idea so far. I borrowed a shallow wash tub and filled it with water (well, about 3 inches, actually, since water is limited), grabbed the bath toys and the water provided entertainment for a whole afternoon. The pool's function evolved throughout the afternoon. It started out as a lake for toy people and rubber duckies, with a tower for diving. The next thing we knew, a giant water snake (in the form of a stick, brought to life by Erin) was attacking the toy children and Sam's Indians (who had previously been enjoying the pool in their canoe) had to fend off the monster with their arrows. Then the pool became an actual pool with the girls in swimsuits, then a pretend bedroom or bed (depending on who was talking) and finally a pot of stew, as the girls gathered the mini pinecones embedded in the lawn (about the only foreign plant matter left there after B's diligent sweeping).



Although the girls are awfully cute and funny I get the biggest kick out of Sam's sense of humor and really appreciate the kindness he generally shows his sisters. A week or two ago I had the fun of teaching the whole family Mancala, an African game which they were very happy to learn. Even though Sam can be a little shy around me, he is always ready to challenge me to a rousing game of Mancala and to loudly rejoice at my defeat when it occurs.

Recently Chris and Mindy went out for dinner (alone!) while I watched the kids. That evening the kids wrote (or drew) letters to their friends in America. I will excerpt a typical letter of Sam's to illustrate (with the original spelling and punctuation preserved):


Dear Andrew

Are you sad with me gone? because I am. how are your family and Frends doing. In Africa there are a lot of flys in Aficia also there are a lot of black people.

From Africa to Amariaca from Sam


Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Krista said...

Lovely pictures, Elissa!

10:57 AM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Elissa,
I really enjoyed reading this account of the many ways you have found to show love to these three children. I was greatly amused with the how the children's story line changed through the afternoon when playing with the 'pool' of water!

I must say that Sam's letter is a real tearjerker for me! It is a sign that adjustments to a new culture can be challenging for the younger members of the family, as well as for the adults. I can remember that letters from friends and family back home were so appreciated! Perhaps that is why I still wait eagerly for the mailman to come, even though my years of living in the Alaskan bush are long behind me.

Jeanne

mom

7:03 AM  
Blogger Miss Elissa said...

In all fairness I should note that Mindy was rather exasperated with Sam's letter--because it plays right into the stereotypes of Africa, and because it's not necessarily true of his Ethiopian experience. There aren't really a lot of flies, for example, unless you're hanging around where people are selling fresh goat heads or something. But even there, no more flies than on a farm in the states.

But I suppose the facts don't matter so much, if we're just talking about Sam's experience and adjustment to Africa. It's still a strange culture for him, and yes, that makes being away from friends all the harder. But I think mostly he's had a really good experience in Ethiopia--their good school community helps a lot!

2:48 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Archer said...

"So I do my best, adding my own elements to storylines so that I don't go insane."

Children's imaginations are surely far less bound than ours!

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home